Favorite Summertime Cook Out Recipes
Summer time weather has finally arrived here in the Indianapolis area. If you’re like us, one of our favorite activities is cooking out in the backyard with family and friends. We thought it would be a great time to share some of our favorite summer recipes. Check it out below!
Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1–2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 3 Tablespoons egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil grill grate.
- While the grill is preheating, mix together turkey, spinach, feta, egg whites, parsley, garlic, sea salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Using your hands, form mixture into 4-5 patties. Cook on preheated grill until no longer pink in the center, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Oriental Cole Slaw
- (2) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles
- (2) 8.5oz packages broccoli
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- Before opening noodles, crush into 1 inch pieces. Open packages and set aside flavor packets. Place noodles in bottom of large serving bowl.
- Top noodles with broccoli slaw, then sprinkle with almonds and sunflower kernels, and green onions.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, oil, vinegar, and flavor packets from noodles.
- Pour over slaw, cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Toss before serving
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water, oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 box strawberry Jello
- 1 container (12 oz) fluffy white frosting
- 1 tube (0.68 oz) red decorating gel
- 12 fresh strawberries, cut in half
Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, pour boiling water on gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Poke cake every inch with handle of wooden spoon or tines of meat fork halfway into cake. Carefully pour strawberry gelatin evenly over top of cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Spread frosting over top of cake. Drizzle red decorating gel over frosting. Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows. Garnish each piece of cake with strawberries.